Delivering your vehicle to you.
Ship your Car|| Drive a car || Contact|| Driver FAQ || Home
- What is HitTheRoad.ca? HitTheRoad.ca is a trusted, professional vehicle transport service. We deliver cars, trucks, and RVs across Canada and between Canada and the United States. We do this by having the vehicles delivered by driving them to their destination.
- How does HitTheRoad.ca benefit me? HitTheRoad.ca is a great way for budget conscious travellers AND safe drivers to see the big cities, the small towns, and everything in between, across North America. It is a cheap way to get across long distances within Canada and between Canada and the United States.
- Is this a job? NO: this is NOT an employment offer. You might think of this is a budget travel offer. This vehicle delivery service might provide you with one way, free ( or very cheap ) travel in exchange for your service; delivering a car by driving it to its destination ( one way vehicle delivery ). You deliver a vehicle, you travel for free or very cheaply.
- Do I get paid? YES: You will be reimbursed for some or all car related expenses. The exact amount will vary depending on the car.
- Do I get paid an hourly wage? NO. You WILL NOT be paid an hourly wage, a salary, a commission, a bonus, or any other similar type of payment.
- How much will I get paid to drive a car? The exact amount will vary. It will vary on a variety of factors, such as: time of year, distance, pickup/drop off turnaround time, type of car, and others. However, our aim is in the ball park of a free one way trip. Sometimes it can be more. Sometimes it is less.
- Yeah. OK. But how much do I get? In General Terms: We usually pay "more than" the cost of gas for trips between Canada and the USA. We usually pay "less than" the cost of gas for trips across Canada. We offer a flat fee for each trip on a case by case basis.
- Do you pay for my return trip? NO. We offer a ONE WAY trip in a car. Everything else is your responsibility. You have the opportunity to earn free travel while you drive cars one way. Think of it as a free one way car rental.
- Will you pay for my plane ticket? Again, No. However, follow this link & Redeem coupon code TRAVEL10 for $10 off Lowest airfare guaranteed.
- Do you pay for my accommodations? NO. Think of our service as a money saving opportunity specifically for the transportation portion of your overall travel plan. ( www.couchsurfing.com might interest you )
- When will I get paid? Drivers are paid at the time that the car is dropped off at its destination.
- Can I get paid before I drive? Under NO circumstances do we pay prior to vehicle drop-off at destination.
- How much time will I have to deliver the car? With most deliveries, you will be expected to drive at least 500 kilometres per day. Exceptions are possible. But not promised.
- Are there round trip vehicle deliveries? Round Trips are very rare. Very very rare.
- Do I have to pay HitTheRoad.ca a fee? NO. We will not charge you a fee for this. We do not profit from our drivers. Nor do we require that you join a club. This is NOT a scam where you need pay a membership fee to be alerted of a potential future prospect in your area that will never actually happen. Our intention is free, cheap, or paid travel for the driver. Until we have an actual car that suits your travel needs, you pay nothing. This is an honest operation. We view our relationship with our drivers as one of mutual respect and benefit. If you do not want to participate in this relationship, please stop reading this and move on.
- Do I have to pay anything? YES. Before you are handed the keys to the car, you must pay a deposit.
- Why do I pay a deposit? Paying the deposit demonstrates that you are serious about driving with HitTheRoad.ca It is also to insure that the car gets to where it is going safely and on time. You will get your deposit back when that is done. The payment of the deposit is also the mutual confirmation of the delivery. You are NOT confirmed to deliver a car until the deposit has been paid. Paying the deposit confirms you as the driver.
- How much is the deposit? Usually (Canadian) $500. Can be Cash or Credit (3% charge on credit)
- When do I get my deposit back? Your deposit will be returned once you have successfully completed your duties as they have been presented to you. When you successfully deliver the car, you will get your money back. Under normal circumstances, your deposit will be returned to you the same way you paid it. Due to the recent rise of Photo Radar, we now hold deposits for four weeks following our receipt of full documentation.
- Is this legal? Yes.
- Is this a scam? No.
- How do I know that this is not a scam just to get $500 from me? This is not a scam. Please do not waste our time if you are not serious about becoming a driver.
- Yeah, But how do I know it's still not a scam? HitTheRoad.ca is an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau. We are not here to fool around. We are here to help people with their travel and transportation needs. Again, please do not waste our time if you are not serious about being a part of this. Please. Pretty please. We WANT to give you your deposit back. It makes up happy. It means that the car was delivered as intended. We are very unhappy when we need to withhold deposits. We like being happy.
- When have you withheld a drivers deposit? Unfortunately it has happened that drivers have lost some or all of their deposit following a delivery. This usually involved drivers not following instructions. If you follow the instructions and do a good job, you will have your deposit returned. It is that simple.
- How do I get my Drivers Record / Drivers Abstract? Please visit the Government agency that oversees your license. Often this can be ordered online and received instantly.
- Is insurance provided? The car will be insured. However, we strongly advise that you have some sort of travel insurance when ever you travel. We recommend that you try HERE for a free quote.
- What if I am involved in a collision? You are insured. However, your deposit will cover the insurance deductible. This is no different from your responsibilities if you had rented a car.
- What about crossing the border? We take care of all the customs documentation and paperwork for you. All you need to do is hand it over to the Customs Officer.
- Where do cars tend to need to go? Cars usually need to be delivered long distances; from Toronto to the west coast of Canada or the Southern United States, for example.
- Do you have a car that needs to be delivered shorter distances (i.e. Toronto to Montreal)? At BEST that would be extremely rare. Car transport is usually a long distance delivery.
- If there is a car that needs to go from Toronto to Vancouver, can I drop it off in Winnipeg? NO. You will not be accepted as a driver unless to commit to the full trip.
- What kind of cars does HitTheRoad.ca deliver? ALL kinds. Every car shown on this web site has been delivered by HitTheRoad.ca
- Can I reserve a cube van? Cube vans, or any other delivery vehicles, are very very rare. Be aware as well, the Vechicle Owner usually fills the trunk with their personal belongings. You will most likely have your bags with you on the passenger seats.
- Can I tow a trailer? No.
- How many people can there be in the car? Normally, you will be able to use all the seating space in the car. However, you might not have all the space in the car. For example, the car owners may might fill the trunk with their personal belongings. Under normal circumstances, you would certainly have enough room for one or two additional people in the car, besides the driver. The remaining seat(s) would be for your own luggage. rideshare canada
- Does HitTheRoad.ca operate only in Canada? This is primarily a Canada wide operation. However, we can offer Canada to or from the United States as well.
- What if I am late in delivering a car? In the event that you might miss a delivery deadline, you must contact hittheroad.ca as soon as possible. We understand that circumstances do arise that delay delivery. However, lacking those circumstances, you do risk penalties such as withholding a portion of your deposit.
- What kind of trips are available? Funny you should ask. Check here. And kudos for reading this far.
- Can I reserve a car for future travel? Sort of. Let us know where and when you want to go and we will keep you in mind. There is NOT a huge pool of cars waiting for you to be handed the key. This is a niche industry. If you are interested in future travel, please provide us with two pieces of information: a time window (earliest and latest travel dates) and travel route (depart to arrival). The more flexible you can be, the more likely this service will work for you. The earlier you inform us, the better. And don't forget to keep checking the Available Cars Page. BUT, to be eligible, you must follow the next step:
- What can I do to get myself into the drivers seat as fast as possible? (HINT: Following this step will greatly increase your chances of free travel.) You can speed up the process by: preparing a scanned copy of your drivers licence (both sides) and your passport, order an official copy of your drivers history/record/abstract ( can be obtained from the same Government department that provided your licence ), and provide at least one reference. And join our Driver Email Group. If you have trouble joining the list, just email us and we will add you.
- What kind of reference do you need? Please provide: Name, Title, Organization, Phone number and a brief description of your relation to them. A letter of reference is not required.
- What else can I do to get a car soon? Keep checking the Available Cars Page. Email us when a trip interests you. If you do not hear from us within a few days, check in with us by email. Be flexible. Rather than have your trip set, ask us what trips are available. And subscribe to our group email list, now.
- I applied for a car. But I did not get it. Why not? Sometimes we have several drivers applying for the same car. We wish that we had a car to give to every qualified driver. But we don't. Please keep checking in!
- How can I save money on my travel to / from the car? Follow this link for Last Minute Airfare Deals. Seriously. It's the cheapest.
- I want to travel several months from now. But isn't it cheaper for me to buy a plane ticket in advance. Should I wait to hear about a car? It is NOT cheaper to buy months in advance for air travel within North America. That may have been true when your Grandparents booked their honeymoon. Go look for yourself. We'll wait.
- What is a Drivers Record / Drivers Abstract? This is the official Government document that details your personal driving history, including any traffic convictions you have had.
- What about confidentiality? We take confidentiality seriously. Respect for your personal information is a part of the relationship of trust that we encourage. Please our confidentiality statement.
- Is this a lucrative career option? No. The amount of money you will receive will be in the ballpark of the cost of gas. In some cases you could be paid a little more. However, this is not guaranteed.
- Why don't you pay a decent wage? Shouldn't you be offering a job? Don't you think that you need to pay people to do this? I would only do this for $20 per hour.... Driving a rig with 8 cars on the back generates enough revenue to pay a driver. Driving one car does not. If you are looking for a career in trucking, this is not the service for you. Additionally, many HitTheRoad.ca clients are retirees or people relocating to find work. In both cases, these are people requiring the cheapest delivery option available. This is more about people helping people to save money than about earning money.
- Does HitTheRoad ever hire? From time to time, and not very often at all, we do hire drivers. However, this is very rare; usually when we have corporate clients. Under those circumstances, we would pay more than what is described here.
- How can I get one of those jobs? Paying gigs are usually offered to professional drivers with commercial or specialized drivers licences. If you have a professional drivers licence, please let us know. Where possible we would open jobs to our pool of drivers. Usually this would be someone we have already worked with.
- How does HitTheRoad affect the environment? This is an environmentally friendly service. Like carpooling, we turn two or more trips, into only one. This reduces the overall carbon footprint for everyone involved.
- Who Runs HitTheRoad.ca? Some guy named Dave. Here's his blog.
- Why does your web site look like it's from the 1990s? We kick it old school.
- What if I have a friend who might want to drive for HitTheRoad.ca? Refer them. We might pay you $50 for doing it. Post a link on your travel blog, facebook page, web site, twitter account... Show us where it is and you are enrolled for the $50!
- Why do you advertise on HitTheRoad.ca? The ads on this site are for budget travel related services and products that we know to be useful.
- Where can I call for more information? Due to the nature of our service (free travel!) - we receive a very high volume of interest from prospective drivers. Please understand that we are just not able to provide individual attention to everyone in this group. We simply don't have the time to offer one on one tutorials for potential drivers. We could quite easily spend 40 hours per week only talking to interested drivers. That would leave no time to actually arrange cars for them. That does not mean that we won't follow up with you! Please feel free to email any questions you have. We would be happy to reply to email. We will certainly be in touch once a car is ready for you.
... one way car delivery
drive someone's car across country ...
"A pessimist sees a calamity in every opportunity. An optimist sees an opportunity in every calamity."
jobs driving cars across country ...?